The Love Cheer

Monday, August 16, 2010

Learning forgiveness

Whenever I think of forgiveness, I often think of going up to someone, with my tail between my legs, head bowed, very embarrassed, and mumbling a quick "sorry", before scurrying quickly away. Or, I think of someone coming up to me, while I'm in an arms-on-hips, head held high, eyes looking down on the wrong-doer type stance. But this Sunday, my pastor reminded me that forgiveness is not about either of those things. Forgiveness is about remembering that Christ forgave us by dying on the cross for our sins, and as such, we have no right to be able to keep the record of anyone else's wrong-doings either. Forgiveness is about letting go of hurt and bitterness, so that we can grow in maturity. If we don't forgive, our heart will grow hard and die out. What a great reminder!

And of course the test comes bright and early on Monday morning...

The craziness at work continues, the uncooperative people have not gotten better, and sometimes, it seems like the break will just never come! And it's at times like these, when people seem to like to test my patience the most. Yet, I must remember at times like these that God died for my sins. I'm sure it wasn't convenient for Him then either, but He did it, for me. So I must try to do it for others, without (any more) whining or complaining, and without letting any bitterness take root in my heart!

Is there something you have to let go of and forgive someone else for?

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."

No comments:

Post a Comment