The Love Cheer

Friday, August 6, 2010

Tearing down walls

Lately my grandma hasn't been feeling so well, so the grandkids have been taking our turns visiting her. When I went to visit granny yesterday, I was expecting a long drawn out day ahead of me. However, at granny's I ran into one of my cousins, whom I haven't seen in awhile. Although the atmosphere was quite somber, but the cousins had a great time catching up. Before I left, we even prayed together for his family, for my family, and for our dear granny.

That might seem like a normal thing, but even though the cousins grew up together, we had never been that close, so praying together was definitely breaking down a wall or two. But what was even more iconic for the both of us, was that we prayed in front of the ancestral alter. Growing up in a traditional Chinese family, we were always taught to respect our elders, and to participate in the annual traditions of presenting food offerings and incense at the ancestral alter, in hopes that our ancestors will "watch over us" and "bless us". Now, as Christ-followers, we wanted to renounce these traditions, not because we don't respect our ancestors, but because we believe in the one true and living God - Jesus Christ. We prayed that the shackles of tradition and old-wives tales be broken in our families. We prayed that hearts would be opened and that our families would be able to know and receive the love of Jesus Christ.

Love challenge: Pray that God will tear down walls and change the hearts of your family!

"Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household."

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you in prayer. :-)

    Btw, can I borrow your picture on this blog? It's a lovely picture, can I use it in one of my poems? I'll put you as reference.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete