The Love Cheer

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 49: Love Don't Cost a Thing (or does it?)


I was reminded me of J. Lo's 2001 hit song Love Don't Cost a Thing this morning. Well, I was thinking more that love always costs something. It's the cost of it that makes it all the more valuable.

On my way to work this morning, rushing as usual. Had just dooted my way into the mtr station. Walking briskly towards the escalators, I heard a man's voice shout out 'leng lui' (or beautiful girl). It cracked me up that several of us ladies turned our heads at once. It was an old uncle standing on the other side of the divider (the outside of the mtr). He managed to catch my eye and asked: leng lui, can you pass me a newspaper (free newspapers stacked on my side of the divide)? While all the other ladies had rushed off already and in those brief few seconds, a thousand excuses flooded through my head. I'm in a rush...should just go...already passed the newspaper stack...would have to walk back...maybe someone else will help him...
When it suddenly hit me like a brick wall, how selfish could I be? A simple gesture of love to make someone's day. How much did it cost me? A few seconds time. Sure, that few seconds could have cost me to miss an earlier train, which would have possibly led me to being late for work. But I'd rather be late than pass up an opportunity to lend a helping hand.

So I walked back, grabbed a newspaper, walked over and handed it to the uncle with a smile. He smiled back and gave me a heartfelt thank you. And in some way he seemed surprised that I had made a U-turn and gone back for the newspaper. Good surprises that make your day are the best.

Love challenge: Surprise someone today with unexpected kindness.


No comments:

Post a Comment