The Love Cheer

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Loving on Flag Day


Every Saturday morning is flag day in HK. Flag Day, according to Wikipedia, is a day on which government approved, public fund-raising happens. Picture the street scattered with people, like land mines, holding sheets of stickers (or "flags"), carrying a bag to collect donations, standing about 6 to 7 feet apart from each other... all ready to charge at you to ask for a donation...every single Saturday morning... It's all for a good cause, but man, HK people can be aggressive! Thus the strategy is to get the flag early, stick it in a very obvious place, and point to it if you see a person approaching you with some flags for sale. It's a strategy that works, but I guess it's not very loving, huh?

Well, I started the day doing something even worse. I flat out refused to buy a flag from a lovely girl when I was rushing to work this morning, justifying myself by saying that I was running late, which I unfortunately was. Of course I felt horribly afterwards, and it was even worse, because I had seen her from afar and had felt prompted that I should help her (even before she asked me.) Thankfully, I didn't have to stay at the office long, and as I headed back out, I made it a point to try and look for her. HK people can't stand or sit still for long, so I thought that my chances of finding her again were slim, but she was still there - yay!

I had my flag, and continued on. Typically, people only buy one flag from one person (and do the point-to-flag motion if any other solicitors ask for more donations.) However, I felt a prompting urging me not to follow the norm, and this time, I made sure to respond to the prompting in a timely fashion. So, I scanned the scene, and approached a high school girl, telling her that I would like to buy another flag from her, even though I had already bought one previously. I even got to chat briefly with her, and found out that she was attending a high school just down the road. I told her to "add oil". (It was another blazing hot 33 degree Celsius day in HK, and those donation bags get really heavy with all the change!) She said, "THANKS!" :)

Love challenge: Don't follow the norm, double up on the Love!

"But to Hannah he gave a double portion, because he loved her"

No comments:

Post a Comment