The Love Cheer

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

LoveLoveLove, Days 1-3

Haha, as the title states: BQQ is behind on posting. But I'll be trying my best to get caught up! Starting with Day 1....

Numero Uno-7/2/10 Friday
Staying in Hong Kong for two and a half months is harder than I thought. Mainly the drastic changes between rainy to hot/humid weather, twists in the new lifestyle, and family.. I've actually experienced all of this each time I came back to visit previously. Except for the family part. First time coming back without parents forced many responsibilities and tasks on me that I didn't think of having to pick up until it actually happened. Sometimes it makes me homesick, but more than that it makes me appreciate and realize the things I had/have. I had forgotten the helping hands of relatives as I had put my focus on other things, things that I would not be having with me during this stay. No matter how much I feel the need/pressure to be independent, there's always a lending hand somewhere waiting to help.
That's where my cousin comes in. Even before arriving in Hong Kong, she had gone out of her way to help me, even if it was only a chance of hope to help me. She has basically paved my way for finding work, experience, and starting a myriad of things (including this blog!). Little things like checking up on me in the morning, finding and taking transportation routes along with me, telling me to put on sunscreen, all add up to bigger things.
My 1st day of love: treating her back with food! I think all Chinese people love food, and food is love. Haha:P
What can you do without family?
" 'Family' is not limited to 'mom' or 'dad' or 'sister' or 'brother'- it's everyone around you."
-BQQ fortune cookie

Numero 2- 7/3/10 Saturday

I love coming back to Hong Kong to see all the aunts, uncles, and... kids! They are so adorable and fun to play with. They remind me of myself in the past: being excited to go down to the park (not minding the burning hot weather and uncomfort of sweaty clothes sticking to your back), liking the elder who gives you sweets. I had already passed out the candy that was for them, so the thing left to do was: playing at the park! I felt terrible as last Saturday (when all the family from my mother's side eats dinner together) I was not able to take them. However I offered to take them again this Saturday, hoping that it would work out if we tried to go earlier. As we were about to go down, my uncle came home with the groceries and our trip to the park had to be canceled. We had to help make dinner and set up.
As much dissapointment I felt when I was told not to go anymore, I realized the kids shrugged it off easier than I did. They were still happy while playing toys and cards with each other. I realized that this was not entirely bad: I got a chance to get closer with my younger cousins who don't remember me from when they were only a couple years old. I'm still very glad that I tried to make it work and putting the thought and effort into taking them; as the saying goes, "It's the thought that counts" right? :)
"If you just put your foot forward and just make an initiative, even if it does not follow through, your work will not be wasted."
-BQQ fortune cookie

Numero 3- 7/4/10 Sunday
Another day with the kid cousins! We took them out to play at one of those kid arcades, similar to places like "Chucky Cheese" in the US. We started out with two groups, my brother with my boy cousin (age 5), and me with my girl cousin (age 8). Each team had 100 coins to start with, the main goal being to get tickets in exchange for prizes. In the middle of the arcade, I pass by my youngest cousin who is about 3 feet tall holding a bunch of tickets, too many for his small hands to hold. I then look at my pile of "tickets", only to see 1. I had been wasting coins playing a game that offered no tickets and had no idea until an employee went up to me realizing my lack of ability to read Chinese who pointed to a sign that read "no tickets".
Our groups were down to the last coins: each person had one last chance to earn tickets. The young boy cousin, happy from all his tickets, played his coin....only to have it get stuck in the machine. I watched him as he starred at it blankly and confused, watching it roll from one side to the other, never falling down. Although I laughed, I gave up my last coin for him to play a second time for another chance. Though he didn't get that many more tickets, it still felt good to give up my share for him-knowing he'd be happier using that coin than me.
"Love is when you think about others before yourself."
-Jason Ma music video song

No comments:

Post a Comment