The Love Cheer

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Love Casts Out Fears

Having grown up in HK during the time when China was opening up to the rest of the world, I often heard stories of how professional pick-pockets schemed and practiced their trade. so when a girl approached me out of the blue on the bus today, my automatic response was to draw back (a reflex which I'm not proud of.) However, I still hadn't done my act of love that day, which thankfully prompted me to step out of my bubble of fear to see how I could help.

The girl was only looking to see if I could break her $20 bill so that she could pay for the bus fare, which made me realize how silly my fear was. It turns out that I didn't have enough change for her $20, but I decided to just give her the $2 that she needed for the fare. She was quite taken back by my gesture, and thanked and apologized profusely.

It's funny how guarded HK people are, myself of course being one of them. I'm thankful for this incident today, not only because I was able to help someone get home, but because I was able to lay down my guard to help and love others in need.

Love challenge: Don't let your fears stop you from loving others!

"There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love."



No comments:

Post a Comment